(Click on map for larger version)
Places where Griggs or Greggs lived in Great Langdale, shown on the 1862 map.
''A survey of the land conducted by the Earl of Cumberland in 1573 recorded ten farms in the valley. These were recorded as Wall End, Sidehouse, Ash Busk, Rossett, Whitegill, Thompson, Bowderston, Pye Howe, Robinson's and Thrang.'
Located at the foot of the The Band on Bowfell, Map Reference NY 276057.
A picture of Stool End today by Andrew Leaney© - see theLakelandFells
Named 'Stile End' in 1710 when
John Grigg had a daughter Jane
Named 'Steal End' in 1764 when William Grigg was living there and made his will
Named Steel End in Mary Armitt's book 'The Church of Grasmere' 1912
Named 'Stool End' on 1862 and 1966 OS map.
Stated to originally have been four farms at the end of the 17th century. One must have been Stang (See Michael Grigg). The four farms became one under the ownership of Bishop Richard Watson of Landaff in the early 19th Century. [George Macaulay Trevelyan 1876 - 1962] often stayed with friends at Stool End in Great Langdale . He acquired a cottage in Langdale shortly before the first World War. Stool End and Wall End farms and the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel (Middlefell Place) (400 acres) were bought by George Trevelyan and given to the National Trust in 1928. (His ashes lie in the churchyard of Holy Trinity, Great Landale.)
In 1664 John Grigg of Stangs, Stool End was presented as a
non-conformist (CRO WD K, 31 March 1664)
In 1700 Thomas Harrison was at the Stool End (Grasmere registers). Michael Grigg married Jone Harrison in 1680.
In 1716 William Grigge of Stile End baptised a daughter, Jane.
In 1732 John Grigg of Wale-End sold a property at Stool End to (his brother) Joseph Grigg
In 1738/9 the executors of John Dixon of Steal-End sold a property at Steal-End to Joseph Grigg (Joseph Grigg would now appear to own three of the four farms at Steal-End)
In 1739 Joseph Grigg sold land at Steal-End to John Grigg (brother or son?) 1
In 1744 Joseph Grigg took out a mortgage on a property at Steal-End 2
In 1750 William Grigg conveyed a property at Steal-End to his son John Grigg
In 1755 Bernard Grigg sold a property at Steal-End to Benjamin Wilson of Monk Coniston
In 1764 the will was proved of William Grigg of Steal End.
In 1776 John Longmire admitted to tenancy on surrender by John Grigg. John Longmire also admitted tenant to Asbush/Ullocks and parcel of land in Langdale common field.
in 1791 Style End for sale following death of John Longmire.
(1811 Bishop of Llandaff buys Middlesfell follwing the death of of James Postlethwaite)
Half a mile away is:
Named Wale-End in 1732 conveyance
Occupied by Ephraim Grigg, son of John Grigg, in 1750 but all his tenements, cattle etc to be sold upon his death. However his son John Grigg is named 'of Wall End' in a curation bond in 1763 but is presumably living with his step-father Jonathan Dixon, his 'curator'. Did Jonathan Dixon take on the lease when it would have been surrendered on the occasion of Ephraim's death? However Jonathan Dixon is only described as 'husbandman of Great Langdale', not as of 'Wall End'. He was probably the son of John Dixon of Steal End.
Another mile down the valley is Millbeck (NY295065)
William Grigg will 1801
Christopher Grigg 1829
1 Is this a re-arrangement of land between Steal End and Wall End?
2 Did Joseph Gregg overextend himself in buying the Steal End property in 1738?